November 10, 2011

It's a tough decision: cooking or eating. Well, maybe it's not that difficult. I can always eat, but sometimes pass on cooking.

Becoming a vegetarian four years ago forced me to explore the kitchen. In doing so, a chef was born. At least my mom thinks so. Not only did a love for cooking develop, but a suppressed and distressed health nut emerged {more on that later}.

Cooking/preparing breakfast, lunch and dinner is a description of my perfect day. Incorporate an intense cardio-interval regime (or Tracy Anderson), followed by equally energetic shopping and you're guaranteed my first born. Now that I've spilled my secrets, let's continue. 

Back to food, our sustenance and life supporter. Please stay tuned for my weekly recap of fun, healthy, simple recipes. A food diary, if you will. And remember unlike our shoe collection, Fashionistas, we only have one body.


Post work out shake or start the morning with a Green Smoothie: almond milk, strawberries, banana, handful of spinach, scoop of protein. 
I eat oatmeal (not instant!) for breakfast 80% of the time. So here's a twist: Baked Oatmeal. I found the recipe on Lottie + Doof. Delicious! 
Granola bread with peanut butter and fresh raspberries! Simple and mhhmmm. 20% morning.
Apple Balsamic Salmon: marinade Salmon in Apple Cider Vinegar, Balsamic and Apple Sauce with S&P, garlic, and onion. Bake for 15 minutes and tad ah! Done. Potatoes confit: sauté with onion, garlic,   and sliced almonds. Cover the potatoes with your choice of milk, I chose almond. Let it boil for a few minutes and then cover and simmer until potatoes are done. Green Salad: spinach, onion, tomato, cranberries.
Quino and Black Bean Salad: 1/2 cup of quinoa and one cup light coconut milk. Let that cook like you would rice or other grains. Add spinach, walnuts or almonds, onions, EVOO and mix in some black beans. Baked Plantains: Slice plantains, drizzle EVOO, add salt and pepper, bake for 7 minutes on 375. Flip the plantains for another 5 minutes or until golden. 
Kale Vegetable Soup: this was the basic recipe. I deviated from it a little. I replaced the white beans for garbanzo beans, added sweet potato and blended a can of whole peeled tomatoes for the base.

4 comments:

  1. Mmm, everything looks so delish! I'm not a vegeterian myself, but I just don't like meat and eat it really not so often.

    xxx
    Daria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never found teh strenght to become a vegetarian
    is very difficult living in italy with all those kinds of ham
    have a fashionable weekend

    The Dolls Factory

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an oatmeal fiend so seeing that it can also become a baked treat has made me giddy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...